Council continues to monitor flooding throughout the Shire. For the latest information on Council services that have been impacted, relief/recovery center's and support available, click on the link below:
Click here for more information
Published on 22 January 2019
Loddon Shire Council as the declared waterway manager for the Loddon River (at Bridgewater between Flour Mill Weir and Sweeneys Lane), makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010.
For the purpose of conducting the 2019 Bridgewater Triathlon on 3 February 2019 between 6.00 am and 11.00 am, the masters of rescue vessel and competitors are exempt from:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water - for rescue vessels;
2. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel – for rescue vessels
3. Clause 3(b) – 5 knots within 50 metres of fixed or floating structure in or on the water – for rescue vessels – for rescue vessels;
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 62.2 – 5 knots within Exclusive Use and Special Purpose area between Flour Mill and Sweeneys Lane – for rescue vessel;
5. Clause 62.4 – Area prohibited to bathers during certain times between the Calder Highway Bridge and Sweeneys Lane – for competitors;
6. Clause 62.6 – Exclusive Use and Special Purpose “Slalom Area” – for rescue vessels.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• The masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1,2,3 and 4 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
• Any vessels that are designated for the rescue of persons must minimise the risk of propeller strike injury to those in the water by turning off their engine before bringing a person on board.
• All on-water rescue personnel to wear lifejackets at all times whilst on the water.
• Competitors are only permitted to swim and are exempt from item 5 within the event exclusion zone.
• These exemptions apply to registered participants of the Bridgewater Triathlon on the waters of the Loddon River between the Calder Highway Bridge and the main boat ramp at the Bridgewater Public Caravan Park, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Event Application and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF LODDON SHIRE COUNCIL