Working within Council road reserve

A works within road reserve permit must be obtained prior to any works being undertaken on Loddon Shire Council controlled road reserves. This is to ensure that Council's road reserves are protected and reinstated to their original state after works have been carried out in the road reserve.

This permit is required if works are being undertaken within Council's road reserves such as:

  • stormwater drainage and pit installations
  • vehicle crossing construction and modification
  • footpath and kerbing replacement
  • water supply and sewer connections
  • insulation of public utilities
  • road works
  • tree planting/removal or structures on nature strips/road reserves.

Works in the road reserve must not commence until you have received a Works Within Road Reserve (WWRR) permit. To obtain a permit you will need to complete an application form and forward it to Council for approval. Following assessment of the application a permit may be issued or alternatively further information or clarification of the proposed works may be requested.

It is important to note that any permit issued by Council only becomes valid upon payment of the associated fee. The permit fee can only be calculated following detailed assessment of the proposed works so as to allow accurate classification within the defined fee structure i.e.minor or major works.

It is likely that any permit issued shall also contain specific conditions which must be adhered to. Upon receiving an approved permit it is important that attention be paid to these conditions and that works do not commence until payment of the prescribed fee has been made. 

If you need on-site advice or assistance with the completion of your application please contact Council on (03) 5494 1200.

How do I apply for a works within road reserve permit?

All works in Council’s road reserve require a permit.

Works within road reserve permit application

There is a fee for this permit. Council officers can assist you in the completion of your application, if required.

Once your application has been submitted it will be assessed by a Council officer.

You may be contacted to discuss any issues with your application or a site inspection maybe required prior to the issuing of your permit.

Once you have received your permit and paid the prescribed fee you may commence works.

Your permit will be issued with conditions it is critical that you read and understand your permit prior to commencing works.




The Road Management Act 2004, regulations and codes of practice can be found on Vic Roads website.

Vic Roads Road Management Act regulations and codes


What is a road reserve?

A road reserve is the public land outside your property boundary and generally consists of a naturestrip/roadside, drains, verge, shoulders and roadway


Non Council roads

Council cannot issue a permit to work in a road reserve on a road that is managed by Vic Roads.

These roads can be identified as “M”, “A”, “B” or “C” classification in street directories such as the RACV Vicroads Country Street Directory of Victoria.

All enquiries for a works with road reserve permit on a Vic Roads road should be directed to the Vic Roads Northern Regional Office in Bendigo on (03) 5434 5000.






Public liability insurance generally provides financial protection to both the public and the responsible persons conducting works, in the event of an incident resulting in damages or injury to third party assets or persons.

A minimum policy coverage for persons/companies conducting works within the road reserve of $10 million is required.

Applicants are advised that proof of cover in the form of a certificate of currency is necessary before the application can be filled out on your behalf


Site plans

You will need to include a scaled location map showing the location of utility assets, which road and which part(s) of the road reserve is/are affected, proposed depth of cover, clearances and offsets to other road and non-road infrastructure.

Types of site plans:

a) Technical/Engineering drawings (shall be required for projects which impact upon/include road, drainage, building and all other major assets within your works project).

b) Drawings originating from sources such as Google Maps (Plans of this nature may be allowed for simple or minor works projects, if you are unsure if this style of plan will be acceptable please contact Council for clarification).


Dial Before you Dig

You will need to undertake a “dial before you dig” enquiry.

Dial Before you Dig

A copy of all asset plans (Dial Before You Dig plans and information that you've collected) will need to be included with your application. Include all below and above ground asset plans that you have obtained from Dial Before You Dig.

Note asset locations for water and sewer must be obtained directly from Coliban Water (it's the responsibility of the applicant to locate these assets and services).



The fees for a “Works within Road Reserve” permit are set with the Road Management Act and are indexed annually.  The current fees can be found on Vic Roads website.

Vic Roads Works within road reserve guidelines

The fee for the consent of your works project will be determined from the fees schedule according to the extent of your works.

An invoice for payment will be issued separately in conjunction with the approved permit.

Payment can be made:

  • at the Council office, 41 High St, Wedderburn by cash, credit card or cheque
  • by mailing a cheque to Loddon Shire Council, PO Box 21, Wedderburn 3518
  • by credit card over the phone on (03) 5494 1200.

Payments may also be made at any Australia Post agency.



Contractor/works managers must undertake reinstatement of affected infrastructure to Council standards and satisfaction.

If reinstatement work is not undertaken to Council satisfaction, Council may elect to re-instate or rectify any defects at the cost of the contractor/works manager.



Inspections may be conducted by the appropriate Council department officers, prior to, and on the completion of the works.

Further enquiries can be made to Council on (03) 5494 1200.