The Bridgewater foreshore redevelopment project aims to capitalise on two of the region’s most significant assets in the Calder Highway and the Loddon River.
By providing an attractive setting and safe stopping point adjacent to the Loddon River, the project will enable easy public access to the foreshore precinct and to the river’s edge. The project will involve the construction of a highly visible ‘arrival point’ and walking path improvements, which will incorporate public artwork, decorative paving, feature seating and shelters and public Wi-Fi adjacent to the bridge.
The intent of the proposed project is to:
- encourage travellers to ‘Take a Break at Bridgewater’
- promote return visitation
- provide tourists a place to easily access and enjoy the river
- project an image of safety and openness for the township, the local area and the shire
- assist in marketing and promotion of Bridgewater and the local area
- promote a feeling of local pride amongst local residents
- enhance the planned main street redevelopment (concept plans nearing completion)
The project will promote more frequent, longer and return stays to Bridgewater with positive effects on local businesses including the hotel, bakery, winery, opportunity shop, caravan park, motel and mechanics. There will be a positive effect on the local economy, attracting new residents, new business and in attracting new investment into the area.
Stage one of the project has been completed and consisted of works north of the Calder Highway Bridge from the Bridgewater Hotel to the swimming hole. The improvements included:
- installation of turf and irrigation
- installation of park furniture and shelters
- improved access to the river
- interpretive and directional signage
Draft Bridgewater foreshore landscape concept 15 May 2015(PDF, 8MB)
Stage two of the Bridgewater Foreshore Project is currently in the detailed design phase. Stage two works will be concentrated along the foreshore nominally from the Calder Highway Bridge south to the caravan park and will continue the design principles outlined in the overall concept plan and stage one of the project.
Draft Bridgewater foreshore landscape stage two plans(PDF, 12MB)