Community planning encourages people to work together in their communities to consider and document the social inclusion, capacity building and community participation needs of their community. The information gleaned from the community and provided to Council through the community plan document is used to inform planning, funding, advocacy and community development activities of Council.
Community planning in Loddon
Local Community Planning Groups volunteer their time to coordinate the development and implementation of a community plan for their particular community. To develop a community plan, Community Planning Groups seek the ideas and opinions of the community as a whole via a thorough and inclusive consultation process.
Once the community plan is developed, Community Planning Groups present their plans to Council Community Plans Council determine what projects and activities to prioritise and what involvement Council will have as communities work to deliver the actions identified in their community plans.
Community planning is open to everyone in the community, the commitment and input required is flexible. Residents can volunteer to be a member of the local Community Planning group, contribute to implementing one specific project you are particularly passionate about or just like to input your ideas and comments into the community plan.
There are many benefits to being involved in community planning. These include;
- Helping improve your community such as establishing more social events, develop new infrastructure, facilitates or help to ‘beautifying’ the town
- Meet new people
- Gain satisfaction and a sense of achievement from contributing to the community
- Learn new skills
Community Planning in Loddon Shire has has a strong and proud history and has produced some excellent outcomes that improve the overall lifestyle of residents and visitors.
Some examples of Community Planning achievements include;
- Boort Eastern Entry Project.
- The Inglewood and Bridgewater Community Building Initiative.
- Bendigo/Loddon Transport Connections Program.
- Bridgewater Foreshore Redevelopment (Stage 1).
- Various Public/Town Hall Upgrade Projects.
- Inglewood Community Hub Project.
- Janiember Park Upgrade (Serpentine Recreation Reserve).
- Tarnagulla Community Centre.
- Wedderburn Streetscape Project.
Advice and support
- Community Planning Framework: Council has developed a Community Planning Framework(PDF, 2MB) to assist communities with the development of Community Plans.
- Partner – On some occasions Council will partner with the community to deliver a community project. In such instances the community and Council work together, contributing time and resources to make the project happen.
- Advice – Council provides communities with information and advice when implementing the projects within their community plans. The information and advice provided includes information on legal and regulatory requirements such as issuing planning permits, building permits, maintenance and engineering advice etc.
- Council officers can provide guidance and support on community consultation methods (e.g. establishing community meetings, developing community surveys – guided by the community planning committee)