Gordon Shire rate books
Date Range: 1926 - 1961
Public Records Office Victoria series no: VPRS 10541
The original volumes are located at the Public Record Office Victoria. Digital copies of the volumes are available on this website and by contacting the local historical societies. Their details are available through the Community directory.
The Shire of Gordon was a local government area about 245 kilometres (152 mi) north-northwest of Melbourne. The shire covered an area of 2,028 square kilometres (783.0 sq mi), and existed from 1885 until 1995.
The Shire of Gordon was incorporated on 26 May 1885 and was named after Major General Charles Gordon. Gordon annexed part of the South West Riding of the Shire of Kerang on 5 October 1977. On 19 January 1995, the Shire of Gordon was abolished, and, along with the Shires of East Loddon and Korong, and parts of the Rural City of Marong and surrounding districts, was merged into the newly created Shire of Loddon.
The Shire of Gordon was divided into three ridings, each of which elected three councillors:
- Central Riding
- East Riding
- West Riding
The columns in the Gordon Rate Book list the following:
- Surname and christian name of the owner or occupier
- Description and situation of the rateable property
- Electoral district and division
- Gross annual value
- Full net annual value
- Amount reduced to on appeal
- Rates due at the stated pence in the pound
- Arrears and remarks column.
Warning: some of these files are very large.