DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION – Bridgewater Triathlon
Published on 27 January 2018
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Loddon Shire Council, as the declared waterway manager for the Loddon River (at Bridgewater between Flour Mill Weir and Sweeneys Lane), makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010.
For the purpose of conducting the 2018 Bridgewater Triathlon on 04 February 2018 between 6.00 am and 11.00 am, the masters of rescue vessel and competitors are exempt from:
Competitors and the masters of rescue vessels during the event only:
1. Clause 62.6 – Exclusive use and special purpose “Slalom” area;
2. Clause 62.4 – Area prohibited to bathers during certain times between the Calder Highway Bridge and Sweeneys Lane;
Masters of rescue vessels when undertaking rescue activities only:
3. Exemption from 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water – clause 2(a); and
4. Exemption from 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel – clause 2(c).
• The masters of rescue vessels must not exceed 5 knots. They are exempt from items 3 and 4 in the above list only when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore. Any vessels that are designated for the rescue of persons must minimise the risk of propeller strike injury to those in the water by turning off their engine before bringing a person on board.
• Competitors may only swim within the event exclusion zone.
• These exemptions apply to registered participants of the Bridgewater Triathlon on the waters of the Loddon River between the Calder Highway Bridge and the main boat ramp at the Bridgewater Public Caravan Park, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the Event Application and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF LODDON SHIRE COUNCIL