DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Loddon Shire Council as the declared waterway manager for Loddon River at Bridgewater between Flour Mill Weir and Sweeney’s Lane, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Bridgewater Water Ski Club Incorporated (BWSC) persons and vessels involved in the 2019 Bridgewater Water Ski Tournament are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- Clause 2(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
- Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
- Clause 62.2 of Schedule 62 – 5-knot speed restriction within waters not specified as Exclusive Use and Special Purpose Areas between Flour Mill Weir and Sweeneys Lane;
- Clause 62.7 (d) (ii) of Schedule 62 – Operating times for the Exclusive Use and Special Purpose Area – Water-skiing.
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
- Regulation 103 – the person being towed by a vessel must wear a personal flotation device;
- Regulation 104(2) – master of a vessel must not tow a person unless the person is wearing a personal flotation device;
- Regulation 100(3) – the person must wear a personal flotation device when onboard a vessel 4.8 metres or less in length; and
- Regulation 104(1) – master must ensure all occupants of the vessel are wearing a personal flotation device.
For the purpose of boating activity conducted by BWSC, Clause 62.6 of Schedule 62 – Exclusive Use and Special Purpose Area, is modified to allow trick skiing.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of competing vessels and rescue vessels are only exempt from 1-2 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety onshore.
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from 3,4 and 6 in the above list for the duration of the event.
- Only persons participating in trick skiing activities are exempt from 5 and 7 in the above list.
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from 6 in the above list when towing water skiers who are involved in, or participating in, trick events.
- Masters of competing vessels and rescue vessels are only exempt from 8 in the above list when retrieving waters skiers who are exempt from wearing a personal flotation device under item 5 in the above list.
- Should vessels or persons not involved in the events enter the exclusion zone, the events must be stopped until the unauthorised vessel or person has moved outside of the zone.
- These exemptions apply between 14 and 15 December 2019 between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm, to the persons and vessels registered to participate in the 2019 Bridgewater Ski Club Tournament on the Loddon River, within the exclusion zone waters between the Calder Highway Bridge and the boat ramp at Sweeneys Lane, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Loddon Shire Council
Dated: 27 November 2019
BY ORDER OF LODDON SHIRE COUNCIL
Dated: 20 November 2019