Pension concessions

Concession on municipal rates and charges

A State Government concession may apply to rates on the principal place of residence of eligible pensioners.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for a concession on municipal rates and charges, a property owner or occupant must demonstrate to Council that:

  • the property owner or occupant is responsible for payment of municipal rates and charges
  • the property owner or occupant is an eligible concession card holder
  • the property is the owner or occupant's sole or principal place of residence.

Eligible concession cards

To be eligible for the concession on municipal rates, the property owner or occupant must hold one of the following cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
  • DVA Gold Card – Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
  • DVA Gold Card – War Widow (WW)

Pensioners who received a rate rebate last year, and who are still eligible, will find the current rebate has been calculated and deducted automatically from their rates notice. If this is the case, no further application is required.

Eligible cardholders who live in their own home and did not receive a rebate last year, or who do not have the concession shown on their rates notice, must complete an application on the required form.

The concession does not apply to Health Care Card holders.