Dogs and Cats must not wander outside owners property unless they are under effective control. Registration tag must be prominent at all times.
Under the Domestic (Feral & Nuisance) Animals Act 1994, cat and dog owners can be fined or prosecuted for offences in certain circumstances. These include:
- If your dog or cat repeatedly wanders into private property
- If your dog or cat is found outside your premises it may be impounded
- If your dog or cat is found in a public area declared off limits by Council (such as parks)
- If you encourage or cause your dog to attack, bite, worry or chase a person or another animal
- If you encourage or cause your dog or cat to be a nuisance.
Any dog or cat found wandering at large may be impounded. These may be claimed by contacting the Shire Office in Wedderburn on (03) 54941200. Payment for release will be required; a sustenance fee may also be applicable. Unclaimed animals will be appropriately disposed of after 8 days.