Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption
Released on 12 January 2019
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Loddon Shire Council as the declared waterway manager for the waters of Loddon River at Bridgewater between Flour Mill Weir and Sweeneys Lane, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purpose of conducting the 2019 Australian Masters Water Ski Championships to be held from Friday 25 January to Sunday 27 January 2019 between 7:00am and 7:00pm, participants are exempt as follows:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water.
2. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
3. Clause 62.2 of Schedule 62 – 5 knot speed restriction within waters not specified as Exclusive Use and Special Purpose Areas between Flour Mill Weir and Sweeneys Lane.
4. Clause 62.6(a) of Schedule 62 – Exclusive Use and Special Purpose Area for Slalom and Ski Jumping - modified to allow for trick skiing.
5. Clause 62.7(d) of Schedule 62 – operating times for the Exclusive Use and Special Purpose Area for ‘Water Skiing’.
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
6. Regulation 103 – person being towed must wear a PFD at all times.
7. Regulation 104(1) – master must not allow the vessel to be operated unless each person on board wears a PFD.
8. Regulation 104(2) – master must not allow the vessel to tow a person unless the person is wearing a PFD.
• Masters of participating vessels are only exempt from items 1 and 2 when undertaking rescue responsibilities to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
• Masters of participating vessels are only exempt from items 3-5 for the duration of the events.
• Water skiers are only exempt from item 6 when participating in trick skiing activities.
• Masters of participating vessels are only exempt from items 6,7 and 8 when towing water skiers who are participating in trick events, and when retrieving waters skiers who are participating in trick events and exempt from wearing a personal flotation device.
• All persons on vessels associated with the event, or participants performing acts which are not ‘Trick’ events, must wear PFDs at all times.
• Should vessels or persons not involved in the event enter the exclusion zone, the event must be stopped until the unauthorised vessel or person has moved outside of the zone.
• These exemptions apply between 25 and 27 January 2019 between 7:00am and 7:00pm, to persons and vessels registered to participate in the 2019 Australian Masters Water Ski Championships on the Loddon River, within the exclusion zone waters between the Calder
Highway Bridge and the boat ramp at Sweeneys Lane, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.