Text Size

Buying land

Before purchasing a property it is important you seek advice from the Loddon Shire Planning Department to find out the type of use and development you can conduct on the land.

What planning controls affect my property?

Whether purchasing a property, or just enquiring about your own or your families land, you are encouraged to consult the Department of Planning & Community Development website to determine what planning controls affect the way land can be used or developed.

Planning Maps Online allows you to search on a particular address across Victoria and view and print a report on the zoning and overlay controls affecting that property.  

You can then view what these controls mean on the Loddon Planning Scheme.

It is advisable to contact the Planning Department as planning controls on some properties across the Shire are quite complex. The Planning Department can advise you as to whether the use of development you wish to conduct on your property requires planning permission. 

For detailed information on the planning process, go to Town Planning requirements.

For information on how to apply for a planning permit, and what will be required as a part of your application, go to Permits required.

If you would like further information, or would like to make an appointment with a Town Planner, please contact the Planning Department on (03) 5494 1200 or on planning@loddon.vic.gov.au.

Please note:

A planning permit should not be confused with a building permit. Building permits are issued under Victorian Building Regulations and generally relate only to the construction aspects of a building and not the use of the land.

Was this page useful?

(1200 characters)

Type the characters you see in the picture below (Required)

Subscribe to page updates

Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.