Accessible Accommodation Guide
Loddon Shire Council recognises that Good Access is Good Business.
What is good access?
There are four common barriers that can prevent people from accessing your business:
- Physical environment
- Negative or discriminatory attitudes
Removing these barriers will improve access to your business.
Who benefits from good access?
People with a variety of access needs will benefit from good access:
- Parents with prams and pushers
- Older adults
- People with disabilities
- People with mental health issues
- People with English as a second language
- Visitors from other countries
You will be surprised who else will benefit from improved access.
By completing the Accessible Accommodation Guide for your business, thus providing information on the accessibility of your accommodation for people to make informed decisions, you are instantly increasing your potential customer base. People with a disability are loyal customers to establishments who cater for their needs, which results in a large amount of return visits and additional business through word of mouth promotion.
How accessible is your accommodation?
In order to help you improve the accessibility of your business and therefore your customer base, Loddon Shire Council has developed a self-assessment checklist for you to complete, providing you with a guide to show how accessible your accommodation is.
The self-assessment checklist will not only provide you with a guide to use when planning improvements, but is also an avenue to promote the accessibility your business offers. It will also provide people visiting the Loddon area with the information they need to identify which accommodation providers can meet their access needs without seeing the venue themselves.
What do you need to do?
1. Simply work through the Accommodation Access Checklist(PDF 639 KB) Listen, adding any additional comments or information you feel people may need to know.
2. Once completed, email to Council’s Tourism team at the email@example.com
How will the access checklist be used?
- The Council Tourism team will upload your checklist with your accommodation listing on the Loddon Shire Council website for visitors to view.
- The Visitor Information Centre staff will use the checklist to refer to when they receive enquiries about accommodation in Loddon.
- You can also use this checklist to provide information about your accommodation’s accessibility on your own website if you wish.
What if something changes?
Working through the access checklist will allow you to identify any easy and quick changes you can make at the time of completion. If you make any changes to your accessibility you can simply amend your Accommodation Access Checklist and resubmit to council’s Tourism team.
In order to help make your accommodation more accessible the following resources may be useful for you to refer to:
Disability Speak - a communication guide(PDF 204 KB) Listen
Equipment Hire & Purchase(PDF 119 KB) Listen
Accessible fittings & accessories(PDF 273 KB) Listen
Further information on how to make your business more accessible can be found at:
Accessible Tourism – It’s Your Business
Communication Access for All
The Accommodation Access Checklist is not a technical compliance checklist for assessing whether or not you comply with the Disability Discrimination Act or the Building Code of Australia. Should you wish to advertise your accommodation, or part of, as fully accessible with the recognition of the access symbol in council’s promotional material you will require an access audit to be completed by an accredited access auditor. Council will need to see a copy of this audit before promoting your business with the access symbol.
Was this page useful?
Type the characters you see in the picture below (Required)
Fields marked as 'Required' must be completed.